Date: 23 Sept, 2006
Venue: Tilak Smarak Mandir
Organised by: Abhinava Vidyalaya, Pune and BCQC Set by: BC quizzers
Conducted by: Ramanand
Quiz Final Results
1st: D.E.S. Secondary School (Akshay, Deven, Makarand): 130
2nd: Abhinava Vidyalaya (Gautam, Nissim, Neil): 120
3rd: Muktangan (Ruchik, Shantanu, Siddharth): 110
4th: Bishops (Karan, Raghav, Puneeth): 95
5th: S.P.M English (Jaideep, Kaustubh, Abhishek): 85
6th: Symbiosis Secondary (Abhishek, Mihir, Rohit): 60
(9 questions out of 56 were unanswered)
Quiz Elim Results (in descending order)
Abhinava, Muktangan, Symbiosis, Bishops, DES, SPM English (the quiz had a rule that only one team per school could make it to the finals which meant second teams from Abhinava and Symbiosis who scored higher than the cutoff could not make it to stage)
* This is the first time we've been involved in a school quiz, and approached it with a view
to introducing ideas like Infinite Rebounds, no buzzers/timekeeping, "workable" questions
and the whole pack that is considered conventional at college quizzing and beyond, but is
certainly novel to school quizzing.
* The finalists were quite good (as were many audience members) at answering the questions and adapting to this "newer" form of quizzing. Connects were cracked with aplomb.
* It was a tight race between the unfancied DES team and Abhinava (who had the triple tags of being defending champs and top seeds playing at home) with the lead oscillating between them. In the end, it did come down to the very last question - the final theme connect which, being open to all, DES got and Abhinava did not. That decided the winner. Muktangan, who came in 3rd, were best at the connects, getting the theme very early and earning a lot of useful points in that segment.
* The organisation by Abhinava was excellent. The turnout was not quite as high as we'd expected, but given the positive feedback from kids and teachers, hopefully this kind of quizzing will have got a big boost.
* The quiz had two broadcast questions and a 5+1 theme connect in addition to the IR rounds.
* A small report in the TOI (which erroneously states that DES won by 5 points).
1. Since 1930, kids have been using sentences like "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas" to memorise something. However, from August 2006, such sentences will have to be modified. What would you be trying to memorise using such sentences?
2. This is an area in northwestern England, on both banks of the lower reaches of the River _____ Estuary. This region is named after the river and is famous for its contribution to British popular culture. Entertainers such as the Beatles came from here. A famous derby match between two of England's oldest clubs takes its name after this region. Name the region in question.