Date: 7 Jan, 2007 (Sunday)
Venue: Dewang Mehta Auditorium, PSPL
Set and Conducted by: Gaurav Sabnis
Quiz Final Results
(50 questions, Modified IR with reversals from F, 2 pts for correct answers)
1st: Niranjan Pedanekar, J. Ramanand, Meghashyam Shirodkar (A): 21
2nd: Anand Sivashankar, Vibhendu Tiwari, Ganesh Hegde (E): 19
3rd: Sudarshan Purohit, Amit Garde, Shivaji Marella (B): 18
4th: Amit Varma, Rishi Iyengar, Kunal Sawardekar (C): 17
5th: Shamanth Rao, Salil Bijur, Abhishek Nagaraj (D): 11
6th: B.V.Harishkumar, D. Dharmendra, Arnold D'Souza (F): 8
(4 out of 50 questions went unanswered)
Quiz Elim Results (out of 30 questions)
First 6 Teams cutoff: 13
(in order) Anand-Vibhendu (17), Shamanth-Salil (16), Ramanand-Niranjan (15), Amit Garde-Sudarshan (14), Amit Varma-Rishi and Harish-Dhammo (13)
next 3 cutoff: 9
(in order) Kunal S-Arnold(12), Meghashyam-Abhishek (11.5), Ganesh-Shivaji (9)
BC Theme Attic Quiz: "Assassinations and India at the Olympics" by J.Ramanand
* Our first quiz where prizes were sponsored by Landmark.
* Please give feedback on questions, organisation, etc.
* The next set of open quizzes will be in March
* If you want a copy of the elims and finals, please send me an email or leave a message in the comments.
* Thanks are again due to PSPL and Landmark.
Sample Elims questions:
1. Which term, coined by Indian demographer Ashish Bose in 1980, is an acronym and also a pun?
2. In the 1984 Lok Sabha election, whose campaign catch-phrase was "Mere anganey me.n tumhaaraa kyaa naam hai?"
3. Martin Speckter, the head of an advertising agency and an advocate of precision in communication, put forth this idea in an article in 1962. It was supposed to convey in print an attitude of curiosity and wonder. The WSJ called the idea exactly right for a statement like "Who forgot to put the gas in the car". What name did Speckter give this idea?