The announcement for this year's Mahaquizzer follows. A short summary (with Pune venue details) is as follows:
When: 30 May (Sunday), 9 am onwards (timing to be confirmed)
Where in Pune: Landmark, SGS Mall, Moledina Road, Pune
To register: write to firstname.lastname@example.org with Pune in the subject line (since the venue may only has limited seating, it is recommended that you register in advance, by 23rd May).
Prizes: for the best quizzer, lady quizzer, school quizzer, college quizzer; as usual, the BCQC will sponsor additional prizes in some of these categories.
Note: the venue will not have desks, so you may want to get a writing pad along with your pen.
The full announcement from the KQA:
We will hold the sixth edition of Mahaquizzer across 14 cities on Sunday, 30 May 2010. The cities where centres are being offered are Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Thiruvananthapuram, Mumbai, New Delhi, Kolkata, Pune, Guwahati, Panaji, Thrissur, Mysore and Coimbatore. If we are able to obtain permission, Singapore will also figure among the venues.
Mahaquizzer is the National Quizzing Championship. It is open to individual entrants, irrespective of age or other affiliations (though we do suggest that the taker is at least 12 years old). There is no entry fee--except in Kolkata where hall-hire expenses will be met thus.
As always, contestants are required to answer 150 questions over 90 minutes.
Four prizes will be given out in each city: Best Quizzer, Best Woman Quizzer, Best College Quizzer and Best School Quizzer.
The person recording the highest score across all centres will hold the title of Mahaquizzer for 2010. She/he will also be awarded the Wing Commander G.R. Mulky Trophy for Quizzing Excellence. This trophy will be presented during ASKQANCE, the KQA 27th Anniversary Open Quiz Festival scheduled for 19th and 20th June 2010.
Mahaquizzer 2010 has been set by Arun Hiregange, Dibyendu Das, Thejaswi Udupa, Mitesh Agarwal and Ochintya Sharma. Mitesh Agarwal will coordinate the event across all centres.
How to register
- Participants interested in registering should mail Mahaquizzer@gmail.com (Mahaquizzer at gmail dot com)
- Please mention the city where you would like to appear from in the subject-header.
- Please do mention age and institutional affiliations if you are a student.
- Since seating is limited in many centres, local coordinators will work on a first-come first-served basis. Please register by Sunday 23 May 2010 to avoid disappointment.
- No entries will be accepted by email after the 23rd. However city coordinators may allow entries on the spot if there is adequate seating.
- You will receive a mail confirming your entry latest by 28th May 2010. If you fail to receive your confirmation, please text the details to either Mitesh Agarwal (98452-59423) or your city coordinator (see http://kqaquizzes.org for details).
You can have a look at previous editions of the quiz (2005-2009) here: http://kqaquizzes.org/quizzes/
VenuesWe are working on finalising the venues--a list with full addresses will be put up at http://kqaquizzes.org in a few days.